MORE MODS!!!

Some stuff I missed from the last post will be in this post! I also videos a lot of what I did so the video is posted below.

Along with everything else that I did in November, I also stole some ideas from other people and pinterest. Namely in the screwing mason jar lids to the underneath of a shelf and then using the corresponding mason jar to store little bits of crap that you don't need lying about in your house let alone lying about the space in your van, and then screwing the jar back onto its a lid, hence creating creative storage solutions. That was a mouthful. I don't even have a photo for you, so you'll have to watch the video to see.



Going with the cheap and cheerful (functional), I decided a while back not to install 240v electrics as I couldn't be arsed, and it was quite expensive. I work with boats, so I knew of cheap installations for 240v electrics as they are the same. I found a power cable for boats that came with 3 standard uk plugs on the end with built in RCD. Either way I'd need a cable, and this was all in one, so I bought it. 240 electrics for £30. Brill.
Rather than have this box sat on the floor, i decided it could stay in the front, and I'd run a couple of extension leads into the back neatly. I bought a fancy one (well its from Lidl so how fancy can it be?), that comes with its own illuminated on and off switch (oooooh), and I found a surge protector one that I already have.

The fancy ones plan is to be mounted on my mini bulkhead on top, so I have a bank of plugs along with my already installed USB ports. This is for laptops etc. The less fancy one has had its cable run on the ceiling above the side sliding door, and I will (hopefully soon) mount it onto the carpeted ply above my table, ready for appliances. This is mainly for my Tassimo machine and my kettle, maybe a toaster in the future, depending on how many trips I make to actual campsites or places with 240 electrics. I have ensured that my van is useable off grid, but I wanted a touch of luxury when hooked up. Plus the Tassimo was going on the cheap with the Black Friday sales.

Another thing I tried last month was a different method of heating. I currently and for the foreseeable future won't be doing any off grid stuff in winter, as I have no form of heating when not plugged in. However I did buy a carbon monoxide alarm, and will be buying one of those gas canister heaters, which I will be able to switch on in the morning and heat the place up before emerging from a ridiculous amount of layers, duvets and thick sleeping bags. Ive insulated the van quite well and will be buying or making foil window covers for the sliding for window (whenever it is that i buy one and get it installed), and the front windscreen and driver and passenger windows. As I mentioned in a previous post, an insulated curtain is in production to separate the cab from the back, hopefully increasing heat holding capabilities.

Anyway, what I was trying to get to is that I purchased a mini 450w oil filled radiator from Argos. It promised to be a great little thing, as was tiny enough to sit on the floor or table, and is obviously silent. It didn't seem to be man enough though, so I was forced to return it and continue using the fan heater I had been, which as previously used in an old flat I lived in. I didn't even have reason to buy an oil filled radiator as the fan heater is excellent, if a little noisy. Since I used it in my flat, the noise doesn't actually bother me at all, and the heat it distributes is far superior, and being on a thermostat it was also still perfect. The only downside apart from the noise is that nothing can be near it, so it has to have its own cleared space on the floor. It's a small price to pay to be warm, without paying in excess of a £1000 for a diesel heater.

And finally, the last few bits I did where to the exterior, to smarten it up. I replaced the number plate bulb with an LED, and got some neat number plate holders (although they only encase, as the plates are still screwed in themselves, I have trust issues with the plates opening and me losing my plates!). I got a carbon fibre effect one for the front and a plain black one for the back (maybe the other way around but I can't remember!). Once I replace the number plates for either metal pressed ones or new plastic ones, it will look much better. I also placed a few choice decals on the back so people are aware I'm a cool camper, and painted the front Renault badge red, to go with the theme (red edging on new carpets, red badge, etc). Im going to look into painting the Renault badge in the middle of the steering wheel the same colour, and I want to get a red stripe for the bonnet and rear doors. Boring and unoriginal I know, but it will make it more interesting than a standard panel van without going mad. I have also contemplated a small picture of the Korean singer Psy, and that happens to be the end three letters of my number plate, as some of my friends were keen to point out when I first bought the van.



If you've continued reading all the way, then thank you, I appreciate it, and I hope you are enjoying my ramblings.

The video of all described in the last two posts is below, please enjoy and please subscribe if you can or want! Until next time....





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer is about to kick off

The weather is what we talk about best as British people....