EGR Valve and other mechanical issues.


Apparently a common problem with Renault Traffics, Nissan Primastars and Vauxhall Vicars is the EGR Valves. (These vans are all the same minus the badge).

I found this out the hard way when the van turned itself off in a McDonalds drive thru. It was just like the key had been turned off. Embarrassingly, I had no choice but to knock on the window that I had just ordered from, as the lady had disappeared.

Eventually three guys came and pushed me out, and then one guy came and handed me my order whilst I tried a few things I thought may be the problem and called the AA.

Turns out the EGR was blocked and sticky. The AA man smacked the valve with the bottom of a can of Easy Start spray, sprayed some in whilst I turned the key, and she burst into life!

After that I removed it and cleaned it, quite well I thought, but sadly to no avail. It stopped a few more times, and I saved myself by smacking it with a readily available hammer in the back. After some research it was decided it needed replacing.

But then I discovered that it was unnecessary really, and that you could blank it off. It was £40 for a new valve, or £3.50 for the blanking plate. You can buy one here, instructions are included and are very helpful: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EGR-Blanking-Plate-RENAULT-CLIO-ESPACE-LAGUNA-MEGANE-SCENIC-TRAFIC-1-9-dCi-DTI/161434042751?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

You have to remove the EGR valve, separate the valve from the solenoid, replace the valve, and cover with the blanking plate. The solenoid has to remain plugged in otherwise a light comes up on the dash, so you then have to find a place to cable tie that out of the way.

Thing runs like a dream now. -- SO - what does the EGR valve do?

It recirculates exhaust gases back into the engine. This saves the environment a bit by providing gases instead of oxygen, but obviously that makes your engine struggle a bit like if a human were deprived of oxygen. It also coats your engines innards in carbon deposits. These deposits were what caused my EGR valve to be faulty in the first place. 

 I should see the MPG improve, acceleration also, and the turbo spools more quickly, allowing maximum efficiency. The reason the engine cuts out is because the valve gets stuck open, which doesn't allow a vacuum to form, which is essential for the engine to run.

With this van specifically, apparently you can turn the valve upside down, so the valve is useless and the vacuum remains intact, but with a blanking plate is much neater. Also, if I had money and could be bothered, I could remove the solenoid completely, and delete the EGR from the ECU, but I can't be bothered anyway, and I don't care as the engine now stays running.

APART FROM THAT SAGA.... I had a rear brake calliper seize up also, binding on. The handbrake mechanism went bust, which made both rear callipers bind on. I tried to reset the pads, got them off but then couldn't fit them back on and disabled the van! I replaced the calliper and luckily that fixed the other side too, however I bought a second one incase, and have decided to keep it for when the other one goes too.

AND ONE MORE THING!... I asked a mechanic to do a coolant flush for me (don't judge, I look after vehicles for my work, and can do this myself, but didn't want to, didn't have time etc etc blah blah), and he told me a few things.
The reason my coolant was brown was because someone had added radweld, the radiator sealant previously. He checked and found a small leak, telling me if he flushed it out he might make the leak worse, and then I'd need a new radiator. So basically either way I may have needed a new radiator. So I chose to get a new radiator installed. After being quoted £130, telling him I'd source my own parts, and finding one for instant pick up for £55 from Euro Car Parts, I checked the man another £75 and he fitted a new radiator for me with new coolant etc. 

Now she runs lovely!!

All thats left to do is a few small improvements inside, a second key for £150, a side window for £150, a drive away awning for £150!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer is about to kick off

The weather is what we talk about best as British people....

MORE MODS!!!